Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Another New Thing

So, I have inherited a very old sewing machine that once was my great-great aunt's. It's a Singer 1776 model, fully electric, and thankfully, new enough that it has universal needles and a universal bobbin band (very thankful for that after I broke the band this weekend). I'm thrilled to have it, so I wanted to try out doing a simple block quilt.

I am definitely rusty on my sewing skills. I wanted to just sew straight lines right now before I make the two skirts I have planned. Glad I did. Despite being slightly wonky, here is what my quilt top looks like without being ironed:It's crib-sized and I haven't cut the backing or the binding for it yet. In fact, I'm really just winging this whole quilt since I've never done this before. Anyone have any recommendations for a good, basic machine quilting book? I picked up a magazine at JB's the other day, but it doesn't give much as far as instruction goes, but does give lots of inspiration.

Anyways, that's what I've been up to. More painting will be coming in the near future, which I'm excited about. Also, I still knit :oP My projects are just in the boring stage now. I've got two more balls of cotton to add to the table runner before it's complete, so I'm chugging along there. Almost done with the first sock in the new pair too.

Enough rambling. It's 8 PM and I'm totally ready to crash and go to bed. Goodnight!

Knit on...

No comments: