Saturday, May 21, 2011

Charlie and Fiber Festival

No, there was no chocolate involved in today's fiber festival. Instead, I became aquainted with a fleece from a sheep named Charlie. This fleece made it home with me today:


Charlie's fleece had some incredible crimp to it:

I managed to get the fleece skirted and semi-picked this evening. I washed a small sample of it to see how a batch looked after all the heat on it. Basically, I'm trying to decide if I need to wash this fleece in locks or if I can do a big batch of it at a time. I want to maintain that lovely crimp, so we'll see how the small batch turns out.


I also picked up one 4 oz braid of roving:



Tomorrow, I will show you the results of the skein competition. That should be fun!


Knit on...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well personally... I'd flick the locks open and spin directly from the lock. That will give you the bounciest yarn EVER. But YMMV!

Knitting Magic Girl said...

I would if Charlie wasn't so covered in lanolin. It's enough that it would completely gunk up my flyer and would take forever to clean up. That's why I decided to wash it in locks and keep them in tact so I can spin directly from the clean locks. Definitely needs to be lock spun though since it's so yummily crimpy!