Sunday, September 11, 2011

Creativity of the Soul

During times of major stress in the world, I am thankful that I have been blessed with a creative soul. I have found that ever since I was a child, when things would get bad, I would create things. As a kid, I drew a ton. When something happened, I would sit down with a piece of paper and a pencil and just draw whatever my brain could imagine.

In college, I learned to crochet, and while it frustrated me to no end that I didn't pick it up quickly, I would create when I was sad, stressed, or even on the rare occasion I was bored.

Now, I have many creative outlets. I knit, crochet, spin, paint, write, take pictures, and sometimes I even still draw. I've been contemplating creativity as an outlet of the soul the past few days because I have been watching a friend of mine go deeper and deeper into a funk. It has made me thankful for the blessing I have been given to have such a deep sense of creativity. I use creating as a way to commune with my Creator. Since I was made in the image of the Creator, it only makes sense for me to create.

I suppose I have been in a contemplative mood given that today is the anniversary of the attacks of September 11, 2001 and the situation with my friend. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those who were affected that day directly by the loss of a family member or friend. My thoughts and prayers also go out for the nation I call home.

I think it's time to create again.

Knit on...

1 comment:

tinebeest said...

"Since I was made in the image of the Creator, it only makes sense for me to create."

That is a very beautiful thought.

I hope things will start to look up for your friend. It is hard to see people you love go through bad stuff.