Tuesday, July 27, 2010

An Anniversary and a Free Pattern to Celebrate

Today marks 7 years since DF and I went on our first date. It's hard to believe that we've been together for 7 years now. So in celebration of our anniversary, I'm going to tell a short story about a sweater and give you a free dishcloth pattern that came out of some of the design work I've been doing, but will not be used for the final project. Still, it's pretty and I thought some of you may want it.

The sweater I am referring to is this one:The reason I'm mentioning this is that the sweater actually worked its way into conversation last night and both DF and I ended up laughing. In fact, this sweater cracks us both up each time we think about it.

I made this sweater when I was still a fairly new knitter. I wanted to make something nice for DF, so I decided to make the unisex pullover pattern from Lion Brand. I made it out of wool ease.

First, the yarn was bad. Wool-ease has gotten better in recent years I feel, but a few years back, not so good. Second, I didn't really know what the hell I was doing when it came to the neck shaping. Heck, I had to make it twice since the first neck wouldn't go over my head when I tried it on to see how it fit on me.

But DF is a good man. He complimented me on it, even though I knew he didn't really like it much. He wore it to church the next Sunday, and I swear he told everyone around us that I had knit that. Now, I tell him not to tell people that I made the horrid, itchy, mal-shaped sweater. I even told him to get rid of the thing.

Nope, he's still got it. He says that it's special to him because I made it. Also, he'll use it as blackmail against me if I get out of line :oP

I found the picture of this sweater last week when I was putting together a small gift for DF for the anniversary. It was a book of pictures from the 7 years we've been together. I had the sweater picture printed, and today when he gets home from work, I'm going to give him a 4x6 picture of the horrid thing, just so we can both share a laugh.

DF, since I know you read this, I love you. Even if you do now laugh at the ugly sweaters I have made for you :oP I laugh too, which is what I love most about being with you.

And now, if you're still reading, here's a free pattern. I'm calling it the Fireflowers Dishcloth.Click on the pattern title to go to the Ravelry Download page for an easy-to-print PDF File
Fireflowers Dishcloth

Materials:
Worsted weight dishcloth cotton in two contrasting colors. One ball each color will make at least 2 dishcloths.
US Size 8 Needles, straight or circulars
Gauge: Not really too important, but if you are a super tight knitter, you'll want to go up to at least a 9 needle so your slipped stitches are not too tight.

Note: All stitches are slipped purl-wise unless otherwise noted.

Instructions:Cast on 33 stitches in color A (lighter of the two colors, in my case, cream). Work 5 repeats of fireflower pattern. On last row (row 8 of pattern), knit all stitches instead of patterned row. Bind of.

Fireflower pattern:
Row 1: Using A: k2, *(k1, yo, k1) in next stitch, k3* repeat from * to last 2 stitches. End k2

Row 2: Using B: P2, *Slip next 3 stitches with yarn held in front, P3* repeat from * to last two stitches. End P2

Row3: Using B: K1, *K2tog, slip 1 with yarn in back, ssk, K1* repeat from * to last stitch. End K1
Row 4: Using A: P4, *Slip 1 with yarn in front, P3* repeat from * to last stitch. End P1

Row 5: Using A: K4, *(k1, yo, k1) in next stitch, K3* repeat to last stitch. End K1

Row 6: Using B: P4, *Slip next 3 stitches with yarn held in front, P3* repeat from * to last stitch. End P1
Row 7: Using B: K3, *K2tog, Slip 1 with yarn in back, ssk, K1* repeat from * to last 2 stitches. End K2

Row 8: Using A: P2, *Slip 1 with yarn in front, P3* repeat from * to last 2 stitches. End P2.

Repeat these 8 rows for pattern.
k=Knit
P=Purl
k2tog= knit 2 stitches together
ssk= slip, slip, knit
yo= yarn over

No comments: