Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Weaving

On Saturday, I went to a workshop at the art museum on Navajo weaving.  Of course I forgot my camera, but thankfully the phone had one, so I was able to get a few crummy pictures of the things talked about.  I was absolutely fascinated with the whole weaving process.  This artist actually spins all her wool on her Navajo spindle and then weaves it in the traditional ways.  She demonstrated the spindle, which was of course my favorite part of the workshop.  We played with churro sheep fleece a little and then she showed us the weaving process.

I now want a loom.

I'm giving this picture to my grandfather, who I am hoping will be able to replicate this small loom so that I can experiment with another branch of the fiber arts.  I'm very excited about this possibility.
It seems very simple to build.  The weaving process is not so simple, but it's something I think will be fun to play with if Grandpa is able to build this device.

Knit on...

No comments: