Thursday, June 28, 2012

Ravelympics

Ok, so by now, unless you live in a hole or don't have access to Ravelry, you've probably heard about the Ravelympics debaucle with the USOC.  To recap, the United States Olympic Committee sent a very nasty letter to the founders of Ravelry stating that their Ravelympics event fringed on their rights to use the word Olympics and was an insult to the athletes of the US Olympic team.  I find the whole thing rediculous and the apology offered by the USOC to be more of an insult to injury than an apology.  Don't piss off the knitters, I'm tellin' ya.

So, will I be watching the Olympics?  You better believe it.  I support the USA's athletes and I will never forget the experience I had in 1996 when I was able to go see the US softball team take the gold medal.  That event will always stand out as one of the most amazing things in my life and something I will always cherish.

Will I be participating in the Ravelympics?  You better believe it.  I may not be the athlete that I used to be and now I have a new thing to obsess about: knitting.  I participated in the Yarn Harlot's Knitting Olympics when she first started it and I knit my first sweater.  The next summer olympics, I was holed up in a hotel room in Thailand with sun poisoning, so I knit 4 pairs of socks.  The winter olympics 2 years ago were spent in Korea, knitting a child's dress, a sweater, and a few other small projects.

This time, I don't know what I am going to knit.  I am toying with some possibilities of sweaters, lace, or something nice and challenging.  So, I'm going to throw this out there: What will you be knitting?

Help a girl out.  I need some ideas!

Knit on...

No comments: