Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Little Bit of Bad Knitting, a Little Bit of Good Spinning

The knitting muse in me isn't too happy right now. I seem to be in a bit of a slump. I've got Donegal, which is so time consuming and detailed, so I don't want to knit on that. I've got a pair of Monkeys which I need to finish, but I've been more interested in reading. I cast on for a Clapotis out of leftover laceweight from Knit Picks, but I only have knit 14 rows. So, I decided to knit squares out of leftover sock yarn for a never-ending blanket that I'll assemble someday. However, I forgot to do one thing in my math, and that was account for garter stitch to be shorter than stockinette stitch...Whoops, I created an arrowhead instead of a square. I'll try again sometime, maybe tonight, and see if I can get something decent out of a garter square :oP

I did also do some spinning this weekend and finished the first single of a two ply yarn:This is some rustic roving that I picked up from the Greencastle fiber event that Jane and I went to. It's a blend of wool, mohair, and angora and it spins up like a dream on the spindle. I sure miss the wheel though. I'd probably be done with half this roving by now.

After I got this first ball of singles off the spindle, I started spinning some baby alpaca roving that I also picked up at the fiber event. This stuff is like butter. I have decided that I want a nice alpaca scarf, so I'm spinning this into a sport weight and we'll see how the finished yarn turns out.

My knitting groove may be struggling, but at least there's spinning!

No comments: