Monday, April 03, 2006

In Memory of a Great Man


I got the news last night that my long-time friend and bishop Frank Costantino died yesterday. He had been suffering for about 6 months now and I'm glad that his suffering is now over. He's with his Maker now and I know he's happy.

I have many fond memories of Bishop Frank, mostly before he became a priest or a bishop. He is the founder of Christian Prison Ministries and Bridges of America which help recovering drug addicts who are being reintroduced to society after prison sentences make the transition easier. My dad used to work for the Bridge when I was a little girl. Whenever Frank saw me, I got a five dollar bill. Of course you remember stuff like that when you're a kid. He was also a big encourager to me. He was always interested in my progress and knowing what I was up to.

About 6 years ago, my dad became a priest and Frank was to be his new Bishop. God had an interesting plan for both of them. They both continued their ministries in drug rehab and used Christ as a foundation to true recovery. It has been quite successful.

About six months ago, Bishop Frank was diagnosed with bladder cancer. When they went in for surgery, they saw the cancer had already spread, so there was really nothing they could do aside from chemo and radiation. About 2 weeks ago, they brought in hospice. His fight against cancer ended last night.

I will greatly miss Frank. It's hard to imagine my life without him in it. He's been in my life as long as I can remember. There's pictures of him with me as a little baby even. I don't see him much since I moved away, but I never thought I might not see him again. I hope he finds his peace. I do not mourn as one who has no hope.

This was supposed to be my flash your stash picture collection today. If I get ambitious enough, I'll start working on it. I will get it soon. Right now though, I intend to remember a great man and all he has done. I will remember the big Italian man who always gave me a big hug every time he saw me, a man I consider to be part of my family. He will be missed, but his legacy will live on. He touched many lives and will continue to touch many lives even in his death.

In memory of Frank Costantino, Bishop, minister, friend.

No comments: