Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Ah, hell

In the words of Shawn of the Dead, Fuck-a-doodle-do...

Yes, last night, Mr. Fridge died. All my frozen vegetables and vegan frozen dinners, and frozen bento stuff, and half my cheese, my tofurky and smart deli stuff, and a head of cabbage were dead as well. I managed to save the milk and some cheese, yogurt, which I really don't know if it's good, but it was in a tight little container, so here's hoping, and the vegetable curry that Kim and I ate last night for dinner. It was a bad night after Kim left.

I discovered this horror after she left when I decided that I wanted to make some sort of a puff pastry thing. I knew it was already nine, but I thought I could make them in 30 minutes and let them sit out overnight to cool. They'd be perfect in the lunch box later this week. I opened the freezer door and noticed some goo coming out of the ice cream container that was lying on its side, so I grabbed the container to inspect it and saw that the ice cream was now cream soup. I grabbed the phylo dough and the whole box sagged and bent like I have never seen one of those do before. It was like a cartoon character with the fish sword that droops.

Anyways, after a few very loud curses in the aforementioned manner, I called up my grandparents. They live only about 2 miles away, so they came over with coolers and a big bag of ice (bless them) and let me go through anything I wanted to try to salvage. Grandpa tried to figure out what might be wrong with the dumb machine, but he was confused too. It was blowing air, but it was blowing hot air. Perhaps low freon? Who knows. All I know is that food is expensive and I really wasn't planning on going grocery shopping until after the purchase of Magic cards next week...

So I call up the home owners and tell them of their fridge. They want me to call a bunch of repair men today to get a quote on how much it will cost to fix said fridge. If it's more than a hundred bucks, they are going to replace the whole thing. Personally, I would go ahead and get a new one anyways since the model they have now is well over 10 years old. They don't need a brand new one, they could even get a nice used one for that matter. I hinted to them strongly that I lost all my food and I expect compensation for this off my next bill from them, but I don't think they got the picture on that one. When the next bill comes though, I will tell them the cost of the food I lost (I have already taken a picture and am writing down everything I have to throw away).

So anyways, no pictures today. I finished another motif on the scarf, but that was all I accomplished last night knitting-wise. So if you hear some random cursing throughout the day, it's just me. Just ignore it, this too will pass...

Knit on...

No comments: