Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The Ring

See this ring? This ring is my most treasured posession in life right now. It's not the most expensive piece of jewelry that I own, nor is it the biggest, but it is the ring that DBF gave me last year for Christmas, that he picked out, and even got the right size on. I almost went a year without breaking it, but in December, I noticed the crack in the opal you can see to the left of the stone. Yeah, almost a year...

Last night I thought that I had lost the ring and wouldn't be able to find it. I was afraid it had gone into the trash can and after my futile searching in there, I was afraid it had imbedded itself in some pile of goo that I was not going to be able to find it in. I even checked the rest of what I had been baking to make sure that the ring hadn't gotten in there by some fluke and had been baked into the salmon bites I had been making to take to SnB last night.

The anxiety struck when I couldn't figure it out. The depression may have been cured once I came off eating land-based meat and eggs, but the anxiety didn't go away. I locked up. I didn't want to do anything until I found that ring. I searched and searched. I cried because I thought it was gone and that little symbol that daily reminds me of DBF's love was no longer on my finger. I don't get to see him during the week because of his work schedule, so feeling the ring on my finger is always a constant comfort to me when he's not around.

Around nine last night, I decided that this needed to go to bed as well as myself: So I called Spooky to her cage to stick her in there for the night. She came because she knows there will always be a treat there if she goes in her cage when asked. I went to put the latch on to keep her in her cage overnight when I saw it...
Spooky had taken my ring to her cage. The ring must have fallen off the counter and on the floor and the damn rabbit must have picked it up and taken it back to her cage. I had joked that the rabbit loves DBF and would prefer that I was out of the picture, but dammit, Spooky, did you have to take my ring and about give me a heart attack? Damn rabbit...
Anyways, I slept well last night, with my ring on my finger, reminding me that rabbits are evil and that DBF loves me.
Knit on...

No comments: