Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Is Knitting Losing Its Popularity?

So last night after I ate the best falafil of my life (nature's bulk mix from my local co-op), I decided to run to the bookstore that is only about a mile from my store. The reason I like this bookstore is that it has lots, and I mean LOTS of knitting magazines. It has Knitter's Magazine, Interweave Knits, Vogue Knitting and all its spin-offs, Easy Knitting plus Crochet, etc. I went in to the bookstore last night with a purpose in mind. I needed a good vegetarian cookbook since I really don't have all that many recipes to work with in my conventional cookbooks. I went up there, picked out two cookbooks that I liked and then headed over to the knitting magazine section.

I gasped in horror when all I saw was last month's Knitter's Magazine. What happened to Interweave? What happened to Vogue? What the hell? I did however see four, count them, four beading magazines. I don't bead anymore, so I didn't want those. I really wanted my Interweave...

I go up to the store manager who I know because she also knits and of course knitters always can spot another knitter. I asked her where the mags were, and she said that they weren't selling anymore. She said they sold like crazy a year ago and have steadily declined. Now, I would understand if they were all crap magazines, but you can almost always count on Interweave being good. Nope, gone, they're all gone...

So I went home, very saddened, and looked at my crocheted shirt. It's coming along quite nicely too I might add. I worked a little bit on that and then decided I would rather do some mindless knitting. I looked at my desk and I saw the sari silk gleaming at me. It spoke to me and said "Make me into something adorable". I can't argue with the silk, so I began to make the baby kimono out of Mason Dixon Knitting. I have a cousin who will be having a baby in the dead of winter, so they need a long sleeved sweater thing that is so cute you want a big version for yourself...wait, maybe that last part is just my weird self coming through. It's working up very soft and fluffy and I love how the garter stitch just gleams with the silk. Don't worry for those of you enterting the Diabetes Awareness contest. I'm not using the yarn that you can win :oP I happen to have seven other balls of this yarn lying around. Looks like three will be enough to make a kimono and a hat and possibly booties if I so choose. I think I will just make the kimono for now.

Have you heard, crochet is the next big thing...sorry, after last night, had to throw that in. They did have two crochet mags there and only one knitting mag. Blah.

On another knitting note, I just picked up two kits from morehouse farms merino. I just couldn't resist and it was my one day a month I was allowed to buy yarn. I got the fiddlehead lace scarf which I just love the look of. You can find it here since blogger doesn't want to let me post pictures right now for some reason....Grr blogger...

I also got the gecko scarf in the prarie colors. I just couldn't resist. Click here to see it.

Knit on...

No comments: